-

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Neptune, Mercury, and Uranus: Satire, and Holocaust Remembrance Day

Earlier today, I shot off an email to a friend, blathering on about the trivia of my day, and casually asked how her day had gone. She emailed back quickly, and the gist: it was not a good day. It’s Holocaust Remembrance Day, and she’s Jewish.

Of course I felt horrible.

But my mind immediately jumped to the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry gets caught making out during Schindler’s List. It was one of my favorite episodes.

I felt doubly horrible, like I’d been chastised simply for thinking about Jerry making out during Schindler’s List.

Knowing that Chiron is only three degrees away from conjunction with Neptune, I wanted to take a quick informal dip into the collective mood-- as expressed through the blogosphere, anyway. It’s very much like you’d expect from Neptune and Chiron.

Chiron rules wounds that never heal, while Neptune rules unfocused emotional and mental states. They’re both in Aquarius, which the sign of group humanitarian causes.

I’m not at all surprised that the collective mood seems to be somewhat heightened this year. The sympathetic outrage is palpable. While the satirists are never far away, they seem to be a little muffled.

Compare that to the climate only ten years ago, when Larry David, Seinfeld’s writer and creator, was able to satirize certain facets of the Jewish experience and still maintain the most-watched show on television. (Here’s a great post I found on NextBook, a popular blog on Jewish culture.)

But there’s also a square from Mercury to said Aquarian Neptune. With this aspect, you can expect at least a few critical or satiric counterpoints to pop up.

Neptune, Uranus, and Mercury go hand-in-hand with satire and social critique. When the collective mood swings too far one way, there are always the Uranus/Mercury folks to offer a counterpoint, no matter how outrageous it seems to be.

Larry David himself has Mercury conjunct Uranus, and is one of our most brilliant social satirists (Larry David, July 2, 1947. Brooklyn, NY)

Uranus is contributing no aspects to today’s Neptune/Chiron/Mercury configuration, but the Aquarian influence on Neptune has a similar effect.

I'm ambivalent about my own reactions. I have the Mercury trine Uranus aspect in my natal chart, so I feel fairly congenial toward most satire. However, this time, I'm not sure what to think.

Neptune, maybe.

0 comments: